[vox-tech] multisession cd-writing

Jonathan Stickel vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:27:14 -0700

I am trying to do multisession cd-writing.  My system is a laptop with a
Toshiba DVD/CDRW combo drive, running RH9.  I previously was able to use
gtoaster for trouble-free multi-session cd writes, but suddenly I
cannot!  The first write session is fine, but various errors occur on
subsequent sessions.

I don't know when the break occurred:  after I upgraded from RH8 to RH9,
or after I tried using a USB2 DVD+RW (which worked for reading, but not
quite for writing in Linux).

Anyway, I tried command line mkisofs and cdrecord to see if it would
work instead of gtoaster.  On a blank CDRW:

#mkisofs -r -J -f /home/jjstickel/temp/to_burn_symb/ | cdrecord -v
-eject -multi speed=4 -

writes and mounts an initial session OK.  To write some more, I try:

#cdrecord -v -msinfo
xx,yy
#mkisofs -r -J -f -C xx,yy -M /dev/scd0
/home/jjstickel/temp/to_burn_symb/ | cdrecord -v -eject -multi speed=4 -

seems to write OK; at least the output progress looks good and there are
no errors.  However, upon remount I can only see what written in the
first session (yes, I put something different in the target directory)!
  Any help out there?

Jonathan