[vox-tech] macos x questions

Matt Holland vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:04:51 -0700

Pete,

Oh boy, time to earn my keep!  Unfortunately, I'm not in front of my Mac
at the moment, so I won't be able to fill in all of the details just now.

gcc is the default compiler of OS X, but it's been modified a bit by
Apple, and is not installed by default.  It's also not documented very
well in man/info pages, so sometimes you're left guessing about the
differences between vanilla gcc and Apple gcc.  You have to install the
Apple Developer Tools package, which is provided on CD with the OS, or
can be downloaded from developer.apple.com (they make you "register").
It does come with make, but I believe that it's probably BSD make, since
most of the utilities come from BSD.

I don't use vim, so I don't know if it's there by default.  Gnuplot is
not there by default.

But... there's good news.  There is a project called Fink
(fink.sourceforge.net) that is aimed at porting as much open source
software as possible to Darwin/OS X.  It's a very mature project now,
and you can install Gnu make (that is, if it really is BSD make that's
installed by default; I'll do some fact checking tomorrow when I get
into my office), gnuplot, vim, gnu fileutils (the default ones are BSD,
so things that you may be used to like 'ls --color' aren't there).  And
bash, and, ..., and....  Actually, bash is there by default in 10.2
(Jaguar), but was not in 10.0 or 10.1, hence its availability through Fink.

I can't say enough nice things about fink, really.  It uses a port of
apt-get for package management, so you'll feel at home there.  Of course
you'll need to get yourself admin privileges to install it.

There is also a terminal emulator that runs in Aqua (it lives in
/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app).

So, you should really be able to make yourself at home in OS X.

Matt