[vox-tech] macos x questions

Micah J. Cowan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:52:42 -0700

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 09:04:51PM -0700, Matt Holland wrote:
> gcc is the default compiler of OS X, but it's been modified a bit by
> Apple, and is not installed by default.  It's also not documented very
> well in man/info pages, so sometimes you're left guessing about the
> differences between vanilla gcc and Apple gcc.  You have to install the
> Apple Developer Tools package, which is provided on CD with the OS, or
> can be downloaded from developer.apple.com (they make you "register").
> It does come with make, but I believe that it's probably BSD make, since
> most of the utilities come from BSD.

That reminds me: Apple's gcc definitely uses a different link
editor. I ran into problems with this fact once or twice, but I can't
remember exactly what the problems were. I think it needed some funky
command-line option to work the way I needed it to sometimes. But the
problem was fairly rare; and chances are a specialized package of
whatever tool you're looking for is on that MacOS ports site.

> But... there's good news.  There is a project called Fink
> (fink.sourceforge.net)

*That*'s it! *That*'s the site I was thinking of.

-Micah