[vox-tech] Conexant (Rockwell) winmodems

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 03:04:18 -0700

On Wednesday 11 September 2002 11:39 pm, Rick Moen wrote:
> Plan B is thus to retain all the "secret sauce" hardware-specific code =
in
> a binary-only, proprietary core module, surrounded by a thin open-sourc=
> layer of glue code

I'm personally inclined to think this is a good approach,
IF the binary-only module is written in such a way as to be
both OS-agnostic and thread-safe.  In my view, it's reasonable=20
to think of such code as an extension of the hardware (which is
also proprietary).

The bad part is that, unlike the rest of the hardware, it will=20
be specific to the CPU architecture.

> that they hope the community will keep in sync with
> the kernel's driver interface....

I guess hoping is also OK, but it would be much better if they
are willing to do maintenance themselves.  It's not so much
about open source as just standing behind your product.

As you say, views will differ.  That's mine.

Cheers,

-- Rod