[vox-tech] Conexant (Rockwell) winmodems

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:07:09 -0700

Quoting Larry Ozeran (lozeran@clinicalinformatics.com):

> It is still a daunting task for me to try to add a modem (internal or
> external) and disable the builtin modem chip, then add a sound card
> and disable the chip while continuing to be able to use the CD-ROM
> drives and other board level services.

I sympathise.

If it helps, you can just ignore hardware devices you won't be using,
and not disable them.

> HP took a very long time (in my opinion) to get on board and truly
> support open drivers. Maybe this process is a little slower for
> Conexant.

You may have a point, there; HP _is_ an apt example:  I forgot about the
way they eventually came around, concerning inkjet printers.  (For the
curious, see http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html.)  On first
glance, and perhaps pessimistically, the www.mbsi.ca struck me as aimed
at an alternative to greater cooperation, not a prelude it -- but time
will tell.

--
Cheers,                              "Azathoth need not be present to win."
Rick Moen                                       -- Charles O. Baucum, Jr.