[vox-tech] Conexant (Rockwell) winmodems

Stephen M. Helms vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:49:53 -0400 (EDT)

First off like Rick mentions it is better to spend the extra money and get a
*Real* modem.  A winmodem/linmodem is not really a true modem at all it is a
parasite and leeches performance from your cpu.  It is a software modem.

Quoting Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com>:

> On Wednesday 11 September 2002 11:39 pm, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Plan B is thus to retain all the "secret sauce" hardware-specific code
> in
> > a binary-only, proprietary core module, surrounded by a thin
> open-source
> > layer of glue code
>
> I'm personally inclined to think this is a good approach,
> IF the binary-only module is written in such a way as to be
> both OS-agnostic and thread-safe.  In my view, it's reasonable
> to think of such code as an extension of the hardware (which is
> also proprietary).
>
> The bad part is that, unlike the rest of the hardware, it will
> be specific to the CPU architecture.

Exactly and that is another reason why it is bad.  I have three different
architecture at home all with PCI slots in them.  If I have a true hardware
modem, I can buy three of them and put it in each computer and have it work no
drivers needed.

If I have to go with software then I need the software driver written for x86,
ultrasparc and powerpc architecture.

I prefer an open source software solution and would only buy a true modem to
begin with.

-Stephen