[vox-tech] Robin Snyder's troubles configuring X4 on workstation

Robin Snyder vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:59:30 -0700 (PDT)

> robin,
>
> did any of this help?   what's the status of your X system?
>
> pete

Sorry, Pete, I've been out of town.  Just tried your modifications to the
XF86Config-4 file produced by XFree86 -configure and things look pretty
good.  No flicker, reasonable font sizes.  Gnome-terminal works too.  (It
was with the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree config. file that
gnome-terminal croaked.)  I'm not sure what went wrong with the
configuration produced by XFree86 -configure, but then again, I didn't
understand that config. file.  (How can you not list modes with your color
depths?)

As for browsers, I used to use Mozilla, but I had a lot of problems with
it.  (I couldn't get the telnet window to work when I used melvyl on the
library website, and there were other problems too--maybe filling in
forms.)  Perhaps I had an old version?  I'm willing to reconsider.

Thanks.

			- robin.