[vox-tech] aborted XP install kills linux

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 20:30:18 -0500

From: Dave Margolis <margolid@ecs.csus.edu>

>I don't see what the problem is.  You're friend was
right.  You NEED the
>XP.  As a windows user he probaly thinks he's done a
great job and given
>you a typical windows installation, because as you
and I both know, a
>perfect windows would crash before it even gets
booted.  I think you
>should look at what you have as like zen windows and
just leave it the
>way it is.

Yea, heīs been explaing all of this to me for a while
now....thought he was doing a favor.  Itīs really good
that he didn`t get very far in the install before he
decided to quit.

>OK, that wasn't even funny so I apologize.  However,
unless he's not
>telling you something, XP shouldn't have been able to
hose any more than
>the boot loader.  And since that _should_ be the case
you ought to have
>been down the right path by reinstalling grup.
Pete's Lilo suggestion
>sounds good only because I don't know Grub, but in
theory, if you know
>what you're doing with grub, it ought to be the same
deal.  When you run
>fdisk/cfdisk off the boot disk do you see what you
expect partition wise?

It turns out I just made a typo when reinstalling
grub.  It works fine now, and itīs very good that he
installed on an empty partition!

Kai