[vox-tech] Robin Snyder's troubles configuring X4 on workstation

Wed, 11 Sep 2002 11:36:03 -0700

begin Robin Snyder <resnyder@ucdavis.edu>
> > robin,
> >
> > did any of this help?   what's the status of your X system?
> >
> > pete
>
> Sorry, Pete, I've been out of town.  Just tried your modifications to the
> XF86Config-4 file produced by XFree86 -configure and things look pretty
> good.  No flicker, reasonable font sizes.  Gnome-terminal works too.  (It
> was with the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree config. file that
> gnome-terminal croaked.)  I'm not sure what went wrong with the
> configuration produced by XFree86 -configure, but then again, I didn't
> understand that config. file.  (How can you not list modes with your color
> depths?)

ok, i'm glad my modification to your XF86Config worked.  i had a feeling
it would.

well, X just "knows" about the standard modes like 800x600, 1024x768,
etc.

back in the X3 days, X didn't "know" about any modes that you didn't
tell it about.

in X4, it has a list which is kept internally.

the new way is generally easier, but i think you found a counter example
to that assertion.

> As for browsers, I used to use Mozilla, but I had a lot of problems with
> it.  (I couldn't get the telnet window to work when I used melvyl on the
> library website, and there were other problems too--maybe filling in
> forms.)  Perhaps I had an old version?  I'm willing to reconsider.

try mozilla again.  mozilla has been making some really vast
improvements very quickly.   i still prefer opera, but mozilla has its
strong points.  for instance, mozilla printing is better than opera
printing.

if mozilla doesn't float your boat, then do try opera.  non-open source
is not necessarily evil, and those guys definitely have a good piece of
software on their hands.

but in any event, find something other than netscape.  that browser is
just garbage, and from what i've read about the latest NS release, is
still garbage.

pete