[vox-tech] Can I do this?

Steven Peck vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 23:39:03 -0800

It is posible, but many servers, not all, will bounce you unless you
also have an associated MX record for a valid domain name that they can
do a reverse lookup on.  I did it for many years on a pacbell dsl
account.

-sp
-----Original Message-----
From: vox-tech-admin@lists.lugod.org
[mailto:vox-tech-admin@lists.lugod.org] On Behalf Of Richard Crawford
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 3:42 PM
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Subject: [vox-tech] Can I do this?

All I'm asking is whether this is possible, just so I can demonstrate my
own lack of knowledge about e-mail and how the internet works.

I'm running my RH7.2 computer at home, and I have Pacbell as my DSL
provider.  When I send out mail, of course, I send it through Pacbell's
servers.

Is it possible to run a mail server on my own box so that I don't have
to send through Pacbell's servers?  I understand that I'd have to do
some security tightening to make sure no one uses my box for spamming.

So... Is it possible?

--
Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford