[vox-tech] Can I do this?

Paul Barnhart vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 06 Mar 2002 16:41:49 -0800

Richard Crawford wrote:

>All I'm asking is whether this is possible, just so I can demonstrate my
>own lack of knowledge about e-mail and how the internet works.

Lack of knowledge is a very curable malady, just goto linuxdoc.org
<http://www.linuxdoc.org/> and wade through the approiate HOWTO's

>I'm running my RH7.2 computer at home, and I have Pacbell as my DSL
>provider.  When I send out mail, of course, I send it through Pacbell's
>servers.
>
>Is it possible to run a mail server on my own box so that I don't have
>to send through Pacbell's servers?  I understand that I'd have to do
>some security tightening to make sure no one uses my box for spamming.

YOU NEED TO SET UP SOME SECURITY _RIGHT NOW._ Your box is wide open to
the whole internet whenever the modem is connected.

>So... Is it possible?

Yes, but.
I have most of my mail comming straight into an old tan box in the
corner (686 200, 32M 1.2G) but I have my own domain and have setup MX
records (and all that other stuff ) on one of the free DNS servers out
there. The learning curve for setting up your own server is steep but
doable.

have fun
paul