[vox-tech] setting up 2 ethernet cards

Paul Barnhart vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 01:18:06 -0700

Ryan wrote:

>On Friday 21 June 2002 12:11 am, Paul Barnhart wrote:
>
>>I'm setting up a new "always on" box (DSL router/firewall, webserver,
>>mailserver, fileserver, X10 controller, weather station monitor, etc)
>>and I want to use 2 identical pci ethernet cards. My problem is, how can
>>I _guarantee_ which card will be eth0 and which will be eth1.
>>

>The usual sugguestion is for your firewall to be just a firewall and as
>little else as posible, but it's up to you, just be careful/

The compromise was: one always on box or two always on boxes. I went
with one - now if someone would just make a nice little $29.95
firewall/nat pci card or box :-)

>>Any suggestions?
>>

>Plug them in, and figure out which is which. They will be the same on
>subsequent boots.

A little more searching and reading leads me to believe that pci cards
would always be searched and assigned in the same order. Unless sombody
knows different, I'll go with "Plug them in, and figure out which is
which". Problem solved(I hope)

Thanks
Paul