Well, it helps if you plug it in... Was:Re: [vox-tech] Need help with sound

Tue, 18 Jun 2002 20:51:22 -0700

begin Ryan <ryan@mother.com>
> On Tuesday 18 June 2002 08:08 pm, Ryan wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 June 2002 08:02 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > hmmm...
> > >
> > > hard to imagine anything with the word "intel" would be unsupported for
> > > very long.
> > >
> > > ryan, if i had to bet money, i'd say your chipset is supported.   have
> > > you tried alsa?  i personally prefer to use OSS (since that's what i
> > > know), but i've seen mark kim crack a few tough nuts with alsa.
> >
> > How would I use alsa instead of OSS?
> >
> > In the meantime, the borrowed sound card will do, I need sound to work on
> > this thing so I can watch TV on it.
>
> Of course, the speakers simply weren't plugged in.
>
> I feel pretty stupid.........

the LAST thing i was going to suggest was to make sure the speakers were
plugged into the card, had power and the mixer was set to high volume
with no mute.

last person i suggested that to threw a tirade because i was insulting
his intelligence.

heh.  ok, glad to hear you have your sound device working.  i knew it
was supported by the OSS drivers.

pete