[vox-tech] printer question

Sat, 13 Jul 2002 00:48:35 -0700

begin Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com>
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 07:05:57PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i'm trying to configure an epson stylus color 600.
> >
> > when i print, the job simply disappears into the void without a trace.
> > i know it gets spooled because if i stop lpd and try to print, the job
> > appears in /var/spool/lpd/es600.  then if i enable lpd, the job
> > disappears.  the printer lights never blink.  so SOMETHING right is
> > happening.  at least as far as spooling the job goes.
> >
> > also, i can cat a file to /dev/lp0, so THAT'S working.
> >
> > forget that i haven't been able to get it working yet.  i have a
> > different question.  i'd like to know where the job goes.
> >
> > here's the printcap i'm using:
> >
> > lp|lp720|Epson Stylus Color 600 - 720dpi:\
> >    :lp=/dev/lp0:\
> >    :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
> >    :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:\
> >    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/es600:\
> >    :sh:\
> >    :pw#80:\
> >    :pl#66:\
> >    :px#1440:\
> >    :mx#0:\
> >    :if=/usr/local/sbin/es600-720:
> >
> > and here's /usr/local/sbin/es600-720
> >
> >    #!/bin/bash
> >    #
> >    # 720 dpi filter for the Epson Stylus Color 600
> >
> >    gs -q @stc600p.upp -sOutputFile=- -
> >    echo "hello" >> /tmp/printer
>
> Out of curiosity, what happens when you reverse the order of those two lines?

i'll give that a try.

> > 1. lpr spools the job into the spool directory specified by printcap's sd.
>
> Actually, lpr connects to lpr by tcp or socket and sends it the job data. The
> enqueueing is done by lpd itself.

i assume that 2nd "lpr" should be "lpd"?   it's my understanding that
classic lpr uses the crack pipe.  cups uses tcp.  i think.  :)

> > 2. lpd "somehow" knows the job is there and sends the job through the
> >       input filter.
> > 3. the input filter writes the translated job to standard out, which is
> >       connected back to lpd.
> > 4. lpd ships the job to the device, printcap's lp.
> >
> > Q1: is this correct?
>
> More or less; see above.
>
> > Q2: why am i not seeing "hello" in /tmp/printer?
>
> I cannot say; I know little about classic lpr/lpd.
>
> > Q3: is there _really_ no debugging/verbose switches for lpd?
> >
> > note, installing lprng isn't an option.  the system that i'm using
> > normally uses my laserjet 6MP, and i'd like to disturbe the printing
> > system "as little as possible" so i don't muck up my laserjet
> > configuration.
>
> If I may say so you are making a mistake here. Lprng was designed to be
> compatible with lpr classic, but with innumerable bug fixes and a non-shoddy
> security model. Why can't you back your lpr classic configuration and give
> lprng a try? You can always go back. I have used lprng with a LaserJet III
> sucessfully; there is no reason that a LaserJet 6MP should cause any trouble.

bleah.  lprng has even more documentation than cups.   heh.  i know i
should be using one of the two.  i guess i'd rather use lprng because
cups is a TOTAL black box to me.  at least lprng isn't a whole shift in
paradigm.  :)   although any piece of advice rick gives needs to be
taken seriously.   otoh, the same goes for you.  :)

i'll stew over it...  :)

pete