[vox-tech] printer question

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:20:02 -0700

--PNTmBPCT7hxwcZjr

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 07:05:57PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i'm trying to configure an epson stylus color 600.
>=20
> when i print, the job simply disappears into the void without a trace.
> i know it gets spooled because if i stop lpd and try to print, the job
> appears in /var/spool/lpd/es600.  then if i enable lpd, the job
> disappears.  the printer lights never blink.  so SOMETHING right is
> happening.  at least as far as spooling the job goes.
>=20
> also, i can cat a file to /dev/lp0, so THAT'S working.
>=20
> forget that i haven't been able to get it working yet.  i have a
> different question.  i'd like to know where the job goes.
>=20
> here's the printcap i'm using:
>=20
> lp|lp720|Epson Stylus Color 600 - 720dpi:\
>    :lp=3D/dev/lp0:\
>    :af=3D/var/log/lp-acct:\
>    :lf=3D/var/log/lp-errs:\
>    :sd=3D/var/spool/lpd/es600:\
>    :sh:\
>    :pw#80:\
>    :pl#66:\
>    :px#1440:\
>    :mx#0:\
>    :if=3D/usr/local/sbin/es600-720:
>=20
> and here's /usr/local/sbin/es600-720
>=20
>    #!/bin/bash
>    #
>    # 720 dpi filter for the Epson Stylus Color 600
>   =20
>    gs -q @stc600p.upp -sOutputFile=3D- -
>    echo "hello" >> /tmp/printer

Out of curiosity, what happens when you reverse the order of those two line=
s?

[...]
> 1. lpr spools the job into the spool directory specified by printcap's sd.

Actually, lpr connects to lpr by tcp or socket and sends it the job data. T=
he
enqueueing is done by lpd itself.

> 2. lpd "somehow" knows the job is there and sends the job through the
>       input filter.
> 3. the input filter writes the translated job to standard out, which is
>       connected back to lpd.
> 4. lpd ships the job to the device, printcap's lp.
>=20
> Q1: is this correct?

More or less; see above.

> Q2: why am i not seeing "hello" in /tmp/printer?

I cannot say; I know little about classic lpr/lpd.

> Q3: is there _really_ no debugging/verbose switches for lpd?
>=20
> note, installing lprng isn't an option.  the system that i'm using
> normally uses my laserjet 6MP, and i'd like to disturbe the printing
> system "as little as possible" so i don't muck up my laserjet
> configuration.

If I may say so you are making a mistake here. Lprng was designed to be
compatible with lpr classic, but with innumerable bug fixes and a non-shoddy
security model. Why can't you back your lpr classic configuration and give
lprng a try? You can always go back. I have used lprng with a LaserJet III
sucessfully; there is no reason that a LaserJet 6MP should cause any troubl=
e.

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=