[vox-tech] printer question

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 08:36:26 -0700

> bleah.  lprng has even more documentation than cups.   heh.  i know i
> should be using one of the two.  i guess i'd rather use lprng because
> cups is a TOTAL black box to me.  at least lprng isn't a whole shift in
> paradigm.  :)   although any piece of advice rick gives needs to be
> taken seriously.

I dunno, man.  What you're hearing from me is mostly convulsive horror
at the tarpit that is Unix printing.  I try not to have anything to do
with it, other that advising people that it should be taken out and
shot.

I recall that Ben Woodard of the late lamented VA Linux software
engineering department managed to overhaul lpr so that it sucked less --
and that the result is now independently maintained as GNUlpr:
http://lpr.sourceforge.net/

You might try that.

rick@linuxmafia.com