[vox-tech] Re: What anti-spam techniques do you use?

Wed, 6 Feb 2002 14:32:29 -0800

begin Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com>
> On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:51:48AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > there's not much you can do once the mail is delivered to your mailbox.
>
> I disagree.

i will repeat myself.

once an email gets delivered to your mailbox, henry, you are relegated to:

1. passive methods like filtering
2. retroactive methods like spamcop or richochet

my entire email (which i gather you didn't read, otherwise you wouldn't
have taken it out of context so poorly) was based on the premise that we
would like proactive methods.  meaning, not even giving the spammer the
opportunity to connect with your smtp server in the first place.  i
thought i made this very clear in my email.

i went on to say that once the email gets delivered you can filter it.
you can even complain using hand methods, spamcop or ricochet.  and
that's fine.  but as far as the spammer is concerned, he was successful
in delivering the email, whether you react to it or not.  they usually
don't even care about complaints because they have so many other options
for delivering their payload.

nobody is arguing that there are ways to combat spam after the spam gets
delivered.  however, the best option (and the one my email was
addressing) is to create a little black hole for spammers on your part
of the internet.  in other words, making your site "disappear" to
spammers.  this is what i call "proactive spam control".  if everybody
did this, the only people spammers can spam is themselves.  and what a
wonderful world this would be if that happened.

peter

--
Enron..safe legal abortion..civil liberties..cancelling ICBM treaties..
What's worse?  Screwing an intern or screwing an entire country?