[vox-tech] charset messiness and mutt (was: a vim question (and german))

Micah Cowan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:40:15 -0700

Henry House writes:
 > On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 02:15:00PM -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:
 > [...]
 > > None of those characters are showing up, here - Mutt didn't set the
 > > encoding, so ASCII is being assumed in VM... just FYI...
 >
 > How disturbing. Looks like mutt encoded my message as UTF-8, which your
 > system presumably cannot display. (My locale is en_US.UTF-8.) It should not
 > do that, since I did not use any Unicode chars in my message that are not
 > part of Latin-1. I shall investigate this further and possibly file a bug
 > against mutt.

I doubt the UTF-8 has anything much to do with mutt, but rather what encoding
you used from your text editor (vim, I presume). Mutt doesn't reencode
text, to my knowledge...

The real problem, though, is the fact that Mutt didn't indicate UTF-8
(or any other) encoding in the headers, so VM was at a loss; VM is an
Emacs mode, and Emacs/Mule has little trouble with UTF-8, so I doubt
my system can't handle it. Mutt probably wasn't able (or else wasn't
configured) to automatically detect UTF-8 encoding.

You should probably double-check your vim settings or whatever...

-Micah