[vox-tech] charset messiness and mutt (was: a vim question (and german))

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:21:29 -0700

--oyUTqETQ0mS9luUI

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 02:40:15PM -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:
> Henry House writes:
>  > On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 02:15:00PM -0700, Micah Cowan wrote:
>  > [...]
>  > > None of those characters are showing up, here - Mutt didn't set the
>  > > encoding, so ASCII is being assumed in VM... just FYI...
>  >=20
>  > How disturbing. Looks like mutt encoded my message as UTF-8, which your
>  > system presumably cannot display. (My locale is en_US.UTF-8.) It shoul=
d not
>  > do that, since I did not use any Unicode chars in my message that are =
not
>  > part of Latin-1. I shall investigate this further and possibly file a =
bug
>  > against mutt.
>=20
> I doubt the UTF-8 has anything much to do with mutt, but rather what enco=
ding
> you used from your text editor (vim, I presume). Mutt doesn't reencode
> text, to my knowledge...

In fact it does, as I just determined from a few test mesages. At least, my
version (1.4.0) does ;-). If a message uses exclusively the subset of Unico=
de
that may be re=EBncoded as Latin-1 losslessly, mutt performs that re=EBncod=
ing.

> The real problem, though, is the fact that Mutt didn't indicate UTF-8
> (or any other) encoding in the headers, so VM was at a loss; VM is an
> Emacs mode, and Emacs/Mule has little trouble with UTF-8, so I doubt
> my system can't handle it. Mutt probably wasn't able (or else wasn't
> configured) to automatically detect UTF-8 encoding.

Indeed.

> You should probably double-check your vim settings or whatever...

Vim settings are unrelated; both programs use UTF-8 (unless Mutt changes the
encoding.)

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=