[vox-tech] looking for wireless NIC recommendations

David Margolis vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 09:54:26 -0700 (PDT)

i have D-Link DWL-650.  i got it at Fry's for $49 with some rebate deal,
but it usually hovers around $69.  i have yet to make an attempt at using
encryption, but the literature says this card will work with the
appropriate driver and wireless tools.  were you to purchase this card or
a linksys WPC11 (another popular card based on the intersil prism II
chipset), everything you would need to know to set it up is probably here:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Wireless.html

also, i had _out of the box_ support with redhat (flakey) as of version
7.1 and slackware (reasonable at first, superb with some tweaks) as of
version 8.0.

i'd recommend the following:

1. don't use kernel pcmcia drivers, install pcmcia_cs from source instead
2. avoid the newest version of either of the above mentioned cards.  i.e.
avoid anything that says 802.11b-PLUS or _22 Mbps_
3. having one of these cards makes being productive very
difficult.  once you get your tast of being online while lounging on
the couch with your feet up, it's tough to get back into productive mode!

dave