[vox-tech] Re: looking for wireless NIC recommendations

Sam Peterson vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 5 Aug 2002 09:25:00 -0700

---Peter Jay Salzman said on Saturday, Aug 03 2002:
> hola,
>
> can people throw out recommendations for PCMCIA wireless NIC's?

I have a D-Link DWL-650 that works quite well with the wlan-ng driver
(not part of the standard kernel source).  With the wlan-ng driver the
support for the card is wonderful and I was able to use raw packet
capture with the kismet wireless tools from
http://www.kismetwireless.net/ as well as wireless network discovery.
Despite that though, I don't recommend this card as it's power is weak
and configuration of the wlan-ng driver was a royal pain.  The wlan-ng
driver supports a lot of cards besides this one, which includes cards
made by linksys and a few other companies.  Basically any card based
on the prism2 chipset.  One advantage of these cards is that they seem
to run cheaper, the D-Link card only cost me something like $60 after
rebate.

I have tried the Airnet 4500 wireless pc card which is available for
check out in the reserve section of Shields Library.  Support of this
card is excellent, as it worked "out of the box" with the debian
testing 2.4.18 default kernel.  I just plugged it in and viola, eth1
popped right up.  This card worked wonderfully with the Kismet
wireless program as well, including raw packet capture.  I don't think
this card is on the market any more as Aironet got bought up by Cisco;
the latest reincarnation is something like the Cisco Aironet 340/350,
but I haven't looked into it.

I've heard great things about the Orinoco cards but haven't been able
to try one myself.

| sam -- Programmer I                                                |
| University of California, Davis : Hart Interdisciplinary Programs  |