[vox-tech] Lugod Demo Computer Software suggestions?

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 22:52:49 -0700 (PDT)

This is what we do at our IF. I bring in my network hardened desktop (from
2 rooms away) and have it dole out IP via DHCP for the local wireless and
wired networks. It is very fast (Full 100Mbps ethernet available at full
duplex and a switched network with 3 campus multiplexed DS3 to the WAN (I
think this is where we are) but seem to be limited by off campus sites
more.) We also allow for static IP addresses (by range) which people can
reserve on a chalk board. (Almost everyone uses DHCP because we know that
works flawlessly from the server side.)

Just make sure the box is not used for "real work" (playing games, playing
with beta stuff, trying experimental drivers) or that anyone be allowed to
use it for anything else. (All it takes is one well meaning user to do
something tricky with showing how X v 4.3-pre-alpha can do direct frame
buffer support and GLX with an unsupported card, and poof! You have 10-20
angry users ready to kill you because their network installed are now
possibly botched and may need to be restarted. (We have not had this
problem, but I have seen this kind of thing at DefCon (and elsewhere) when
the users were trying to do other things and some yahoo DoS's the router -
damn! they were elite! :-P blech.)

There are other security implications with people on the router -
especially with root access. (No need for "MiM attacks" since you are the
MiM. ;-)

This comment brought to you by the guy that has a 1 bit brain with a
parity error, and the letters M and E, and the number -e^(i(pi)).

-ME