[vox-tech] not sure what to call it

Patrick Stockton vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:49:32 -0400

I've got a Mandrake 8.2 install that periodically will stop reponding after
logging in.  It will prompt for username and password and then just sit
there.  I can't switch between virtual terminals nor give a CTRL+ALT+DEL to
cleanly shut the system down.  The only thing I am able to do is power cycle
the box.

This happens no matter how I'm logging either via the console, graphical X
via KDM,  remote SSH, or a Webmin login.

Now even though the login I'm attemping has stopped responding all kernel
level networking still works because the box still acts as the internet
gateway for the rest of my client boxes just fine.

I've run Linux in the form of one distro or another for as long as I've had
this box which I built in the summer of '98.  I really don't think it's a
hardware issue but maybe I'm wrong.  The install is failry stock.  The
kernel is 2.4.18-6mdk (Mandrake's default kernel).  The hard drive is
formatted with ext3 and supermount is enabled on the removable drives.  For
simplicity's sake I used Mandrakes internet sharing utility which installs
DHCP server, Bind namecashing, and sets up the appropriate filtering rules
between the cable modem and the lan.

I would realy appreicate any help in tracking down why this is happening.

Patrick