[vox-tech] How badly screwed am I?

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 03:17:23 -0500

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 05:57:16PM -0800, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> In the meantime, I rebooted the computer and ran BIOS.  I poked around, but
> didn't change a darn thing.  Nothing.  Not a single character.  But I went
> ahead and saved my changes anyway, instead of just "exit without saving
> changes".

  That is the solution.  Most BIOS's save what they last knew as the
machine state and complain if anything is different when they boot back up.
Sometimes when you change out a non-booting hard disk on older BIOSs, or
add memory, or open a machine with 'intrusion detection' the key to
getting them to be quiet is just go into the BIOS menu and hit whatever
you need to to save the settings.  (other times you have to tweek a disk
type, or toggle a 'I know I opened the case' option...)

  Glad you got it working.