[vox-tech] How badly screwed am I?

Cam Ellison vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 08:11:10 -0800

* msimons@moria.simons-clan.com (msimons@moria.simons-clan.com) wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 05:57:16PM -0800, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> > In the meantime, I rebooted the computer and ran BIOS.  I poked around,=
 but=20
> > didn't change a darn thing.  Nothing.  Not a single character.  But I w=
ent=20
> > ahead and saved my changes anyway, instead of just "exit without saving=
=20
> > changes".
>=20
>   That is the solution.  Most BIOS's save what they last knew as the=20
> machine state and complain if anything is different when they boot back u=
p.
> Sometimes when you change out a non-booting hard disk on older BIOSs, or=
=20
> add memory, or open a machine with 'intrusion detection' the key to=20
> getting them to be quiet is just go into the BIOS menu and hit whatever
> you need to to save the settings.  (other times you have to tweek a disk
> type, or toggle a 'I know I opened the case' option...)
>=20
>   Glad you got it working.

Umm... don't you have a UPS?  A good one gives you clean power, which may b=
e part of=20
your problem.  Where I live, we get outages from windstorms, and the wiring=
 in this=20
house was done by someone far more amateur-ish than I.  You should be able =
to get one=20
for $200-$300 that will give you an hour or more of dime, and a graceful sh=
utdown when=20
the battery expires.  It may also save you from a permanently cooked CPU.

Good luck

Cam

--=20
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.
=46rom Roberts Creek on B.C.'s incomparable Sunshine Coast
camellison@dccnet.com
cam@fleuryassociates.com