[vox-tech] off-topic: Cygwin and GRASS

Alexandra Thorn vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 10:48:37 -0800 (PST)

Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask you guys for ideas on what might
be going wrong here, particularly if any of you use GRASS at all.
I've been attempting to get the Windows version of GRASS to run on
Cygwin/XFree86, and although most things seem to be installed and
running more or less correctly, I'm hitting up against a wall in
getting even the online tutorial, GRASS Seeds, to work.

Here's what happens:
I start up GRASS, which seems to work fine, and enter in what I
think is the right information for location, mapset, and database.
Then I get the GRASS prompt.  I type 'g.list,' which gives me a list
of the different types of maps that I might display.  Once I have the
list, I select '1', which corresponds to "raster files."  That is when
I get a message that says:

"grass5.0.0pre2_i686-pc-cygwin_bin.tar.gz" may be a
binary file.  See it anyway?

Not too surprisingly, I get a page of gibberish if I type 'y'.  I've
tried expanding the file in question (tar xzf
grass5.0.0pre2_i686-pc-cygwin_bin.tar.gz), but that does not help at
all.

I really have no idea where the problem could be.

Thoughts?
Alex

"Some unacceptability must be accepted."
                     --Warren