[vox-tech] HP Printer Issues

Robert G. Scofield vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 23:44:38 -0800

On Friday 30 November 2001 06:14 pm, you wrote:
> In our house, we have an HP DeskJet 712c printer.

 I've established a connection from my
> Linux box to the printer just fine,

You mean it actually prints from the Linux box?

 but when I try printing from my
> Linux box, I receive this error on my Windows computer:
>
> Hpfbkg13: This program has performed an illegal operation yada yada yada
> yada.
>
> Aside from the obvious and most effective solution of dumping Win98 on
> the laptop computer and replacing it with Linux (which my wife would be
> dead-set against) is there anything I can do?  I have already tried
> uninstalling and installing the printer drivers on the win98 computer.
> Has anyne encountered a problem like this, and does anyone have any
> ideas for how to solve it?

I've always believed that the HP 700 series was a series of winprinters.  I
have a 722C, and I know for sure that it is a winprinter.  There used to be a
web site where you could get hacked drivers for the HP winprinters.  But I
went out and bought a separate printer for my Linux.  In fact on the old
family dual boot I had a data switch connecting both printers to the computer.

What happened was that HP wanted to compete by selling a high quality printer
for a low price.  So they took out the expensive chips from the winprinters
and had them run from the computer's hardware.

Bob