[vox-tech] HP Printer Issues

Richard Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 01 Dec 2001 00:29:35 -0800

"Robert G. Scofield" wrote:

> You mean it actually prints from the Linux box?

Eh.  More or less.  I can get it to print plain text, but one it tries
to do anything like post script, it bonks out on me.

The installation of RH that I have came with a bunch of HP hacked
drivers, including one for the 710 and the 712c, which is what I have.
The printer bombed when I tried using the 710c or the 712c driver, but
when I used the 710 driver (not c) I got it to print text.

> I've always believed that the HP 700 series was a series of winprinters.  I
> have a 722C, and I know for sure that it is a winprinter.  There used to be a
> web site where you could get hacked drivers for the HP winprinters.  But I
> went out and bought a separate printer for my Linux.  In fact on the old
> family dual boot I had a data switch connecting both printers to the computer.

My wife and I have decided that we need to get a photo-quality printer
anyway.  I have sworn to do some research and find one that will work
for all of our printers.  Heh.

And yeah, the 700 series is a series of winprinters, and there are no
official drivers for them.  However, you can get hobbled-together
drivers at http://www.linuxprinting.org (I think).

I think that my problem lies in the way Samba is talking to the driver
on the win98 box.  I dunno, though.  Right now I'm too tired to
investigate much further. ;-)  Tomorrow I'll hunt around on
www.samba.org and see if I can get some more information from there.

--
Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford

MSN:  underpope@hotmail.com

"When you have lost the ability to laugh at yourself, you have lost the
ability to think straight." --Clarence Darrow

"Push the button, Max!"