[vox-outreach] WEF Day 3 results?

Jimbo evesautomotive at charter.net
Mon May 9 08:07:42 PDT 2005

Well:
As far as a lot of people traffic it would been more if the weather was
better.

Tim and I had a blast.  Debating different thoughts on Linux and software
and even pronunciation on distros names (ubuntu?) as well as on the variety
of people that were seen.  Lots of dreadlocks.  Dogs too.  The canopies were
a god sent

A lot of people were asking why they should  try Linux.  My pitch was is
that you wont get nearly any spyware or viruses which is common place in
windows.  I even told some people that this software wont make them hungry
nor thirsty.  Other questions included "will it give me a desktop
environment", "is my pc compatible", "will my isp support Linux", "can I
still watch DVDs and play music", "can I have Linux and windows on my hard",
"will Linux work on my Mac", "what do I do when I have a problem".  Some
questions were so technical that all I heard was "bla bla bla bla, bla".
That's when I said "My friend Tim (Riley) will help you with that question".
Thanx for being there Tim.

We had approximately 9 ubuntu cd packs and aprox. 10-15 knoppix 3.2 discs.
I received info on the status of theopencd and didn't have a chance to make
some.  This is one of my favorite cds and I believe that it is a good start
of the windows user since you can use it during windows operation.  I will
take the initiative to go to frys and get some quality discs (100?) and make
more unless otherwise notified. I will try to drop them off at the next
meeting or installfest.

My two cents:
Get a nice sign on a stake that says" free software!"  There was a sign hand
drawn in ink on paper taped to the laminated lugod sign but the rain
destroyed it.  A computer is a must.  Due to rain it is nearly impossible
but it appears that even if we had no rain there still wouldn't be a
computer.  I would have brought my own.  More flavors of Linux.  Booth staff
wearing t shirts or sweatshirts with lugod and logo on it.  Coffee cups,
mouse pads and pens.  I know that this cost money however that should not be
a road block.  If I can volunteer my time I can certainly kick down some of
my quarter pounder money.  We could be aggressive on helping companies with
router and computer issues that are so desperately needing people that
actually know what they are doing.  But alas, I am just talk.  My first
event that I have volunteered for so I can't be critical nor pushy on any
thoughts and ideas.  I will however help out in the future and can
contribute to the lugod treasury.  Not much but something is better than
nothing.

Jimbo