[vox-if] GENTOO

Jonathan Stickel vox-if@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:58:28 -0800

Ken Bloom wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 01:41:38PM -0800, Rusty Minden wrote:
>
>>Hello Richard;
>>
>>Have you looked into the GENTOO install yet? I am not sure if this is a good
>>use of our time what
>>
>>What do the rest of you think?
>

> Even if it's a source install, it only causes an imposition if he has
> major problems or he takes so long that we have to stay past our normal
> finish time. We're not really limited on socket-space, and a box that
> sits on a desk compiling doesn't take up manpower when it's just
> compiling.
>
> I've never used or installed Gentoo though.

Actually, a from source gentoo install can take _days_ of compiling,
depending on your system and the programs you want.  This is definitely
too much for an installfest.  We should be able to get someone set with
a binary install, and if he wants to recompile everything from source on
his own time, he can do so (simple emerge commands).  BTW: even a binary
install of gentoo still requires you to compile the kernel, but this
takes 0.5-1 hr.

Jonathan