[vox] The Fun of Being a Linux User

Bob Scofield scofield at omsoft.com
Thu Apr 25 09:52:27 PDT 2019

In the last two days I've gotten two phone calls from from people
claiming to be with Microsoft who have told me that either my Windows
computer is infected with a virus or that my Windows machine has been
compromised.  I've gotten these before with the man with the Indian
accent.  Yesterday's call was from someone with someone without the
Indian accent.

So if you're on Linux it's kind of fun to string these folks on a bit.
Today, for example, I pressed the caller to identify the version of
Windows I was using. He self confidently told me I was using Windows 8.
I don't have Windows 8.

The truth is that I've got Windows 7 running in Virtualbox.  But I
didn't have Virtualbox running when the call came in.

At any rate, since wiping the Windows partition off this computer about
six weeks ago, I'm starting to enjoy these calls.

Bob