[vox] Upcoming Meeting! September's "Hack LUGOD and Trivia Quiz!"

Theodore Sternberg strnbrg59 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 16:42:43 PDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 3:46 PM Brian E. Lavender <brian at brie.com> wrote:

> Raspberry Pi is
> interesting, but mine collects dust now. If you buy a Pi, you have to
> buy a power supply, an SD card, a keyboard, an HDMI cable, a powered USB
> hub. You can get a Lenovo laptop that runs linux for 150 bucks. Or, the
> Chromebook. I have yet to try the Chromebook for Linux laptop.

You forgot to mention, $10 for a lucite case.  RPi is indeed silly as an
alternative to a general-purpose PC, and I've always been puzzled that the
inventor of the RPi has marketed it that way.  But it's great as a
specialized appliance, which is what I've done with it: digital piano
controller, controller for non-wifi printer, controller for dumb TV, etc.
I would fight hard to win one of the RPis Tim's giving away, if I weren't
barred, as an officer of the club, from competing for them.