[vox] Upcoming Meeting! September's "Hack LUGOD and Trivia Quiz!"

Brian E. Lavender brian at brie.com
Thu Sep 13 15:46:35 PDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 12:43:09AM +0000, Kevin Weedon wrote:
>    Dear Members,
>
>    Once again we approach that point in the month when we publicise our
>    forthcoming meeting. This month we're at Explorit Nature Centre (3141
>    Fifth Street, Davis). The meeting starts at 7pm on 17th September, with
>    the theme of "Rebooting LUGOD & Trivia Night". We have provided prizes,
>    including a Raspberry Pi, and sundry swag, so bring your best brains.

Oh, I teach on Mondays.... I'll bring the class. Raspberry Pi is
interesting, but mine collects dust now. If you buy a Pi, you have to
buy a power supply, an SD card, a keyboard, an HDMI cable, a powered USB
hub. You can get a Lenovo laptop that runs linux for 150 bucks. Or, the
Chromebook. I have yet to try the Chromebook for Linux laptop.

>    We'll also be reviewing the past year at LUGOD and looking forward to
>    planning more exciting meetings, including at least one Installfest.
>
>    There are many things we'll be doing, including:
>
>      * A review of the past year at LUGOD.

A lot of people show up at the socials.

>      * Planning more exciting meetings, including at least one
>        Installfest.

Oh, the dreaded installfest. "Hi, I have this old computer that was
sitting in the corner of my garage. Can you help me put GNU/Linux on it?"

>      * Announcing some minor tweaks to the club's by-laws.

Two people instead of three for a quorum?

>      * Getting membership authorisation for spending club funds on needed
>        equipment.

Big screen TV? Did that bulb burn out again on the projector?

>      * Getting membership authorisation to change banks.

Time for a party?

>      * Discussing our financial position.

Enough money to buy pizza, cake and punch?

>      * Looking at better publicity for the club.

Oh, that takes work.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

brian

--