[vox] Request for help with publicity materials

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Sep 20 17:10:39 PDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 01:09:02PM -0400, Kevin Weedon wrote:
> For the past couple of weeks, some of us have been discussing ways of getting more people involved in LUGOD, and to that end I've been working on some ideas for publicity flyers and stickers. Some example documents are now on the website at http://www.lugod.org/documents/handouts/drafts/draft-lugod-handouts-sept-2017.odt. I'd love to get your feedback on the content and layout.

Thanks Kevin!

> Where I'd most your appreciate help is in designing graphics for use in flyers, but especially for the 3" stickers we're proposing. I'd originally wanted to use a variation of the graphic at http://www.clipartbest.com/cliparts/Rid/g9X/Ridg9Xyi9.png (which I've used in one variant of the proposed flyer) but I'm also keen to have alternative ideas. One thought I'd had was Tux on a pennyfarthing bicycle, for example.

Yeah, I'd avoid the Starbucks-like logo.

As a fan of the 1960s show "The Prisoner", and realizing how
much the pennyfarthing is used in Davis, that seems like a
fun idea. :)

> If any of you are willing to share comments, ideas or time on this, I'd be very grateful.

Recommend Oxford-comma-ing this:

  The Linux User Group of Davis advocates for, educates about and
  supports users of Linux (GNU/Linux) in many ways

like so:

  The Linux User Group of Davis advocates for, educates about, and
  supports users of Linux (GNU/Linux) in many ways

Also maybe for this:

  There's an informal social, and a meeting to educate on Linux and
  open source software.

... make it "general meeting".  (That's the term I've always used,
to compare it to social gathers, and other kinds of events/meetings.)

This phrase may be a little confusing for people who aren't used
to "Nth Day-of-Week of the Month" schedules that clubs like ours
use:

  ... informal social event every first Tuesday and a meeting every
  third Monday ...

Maybe:

  ... informal social event the first Tuesday of each month, and a
  general meeting the third Monday of each month ...

?

Anyway, otherwise, I like the vibe!  Thanks for keeping the flame
going, everyone! :)

Sent from my computer