[vox] Best Linux PDF Editor

T. Mark techmark at tutanota.de
Fri May 5 18:55:06 PDT 2017

5. May 2017 18:20 by scofield at omsoft.com:

> Up until at least the recent update of PDF Studio, Foxit was much      better when I had to do cutting and pasting.
>
> Up until the recent update of PDF Studio, the Linux version, when      printing a file to PDF, would not include the .pdf extension with      the result that PDF Studio could not bring up the pdf after the      file was printed.  That has been fixed.

That's an easy fix.. either Save As each time & append the .pdf manually (a pain if u dont type fast, admittedly) or craft a simple script to run on files landing in ur SavedPDFStudioPDFs folder, appending the .pdf

> One area where the Linux version of PDF Studio is better than the      Windows version is printing to a printer.  The Linux version      frequently prints garbage on a long file, say 40, 80, 120 pages or      so.  The last long pdf I had to print I printed by rebooting into      Linux and using PDF studio to print the document on my Windows      partition.  I could have printed it with Foxit, but wanted to test      the Linux version of PDF studio.  It worked well.

I'm a little confused-- does the Linux version print garbage or work well?  Reminds me of trying Nero's attempt at a Linux version back when..  kinda worked mostly, then one time it couldnt handle some setting & I got a CD that was literally random chunks of sound scrambled over the entire 74minutes.  I think they gave up on that.

> One thing I've noticed though is that the default pdf reader on      Linux Mint, Document Viewer, brings up a pdf document faster than      PDF Studio.

Linux is generally faster at most things.. less or none of the exorbitant bloat.  (Did you try turning off a bunch of Services in Winbloze?  Will still slow by comparison IMO.)

> Whatever drawbacks PDF Studio studio has I'm sticking with it as      the price of becoming completely Windows free in 2019.

Might as well "get ur money's worth", but I always advise migrating ASAP, as you'll thank urself mightily once u've climbed the not-all-that-bad Linux learning curve.  Once I figured out I was proficient enough to do stuff as fast with Linux -- and soon faster--  I felt yuge relief not having 2 futz w/ M$ anymore.  That was over 10 yrs ago now!  Such a pain when having to use Windows-only things now.. pains my brain to remember all that time spent cursing Win back when.  (WINE is always improving too, which can suffice for many things btw.)

  The real solution:  start convincing The Business World to go Open Document Format.  It took forever to leave Adobe Flash in the dust with HTML5, but sure is satisfying as it finally gets done.   And who wants all the cost & "phoning home" of a proprietary OS when Linuxes r so usable now?  #FOSS is preferable on so many levels.  We just have to get the word out.