[vox] The future of LUGOD

Abram Hindle abram.hindle at softwareprocess.es
Tue Nov 15 12:59:49 PST 2016

Hi,

I attended LUGOD years ago in 2010 or 2011 when I was working in Davis.
I am now far up north where the Aurora Borealis dances, regardless we
have meetups up here and in 2 of the meetups our fearless leaders have
had to step down.

They did everything, and it was a lot of work. To keep their meetups
alive we formed organization committees of 4-5 people.

The org committee had no clear roles but we discussed the work that had
to be done:

* Announcements

* Website

* Social Media

* Scheduling meeting rooms

* Catering if necessary

* Sponsorship is necessary

* Procuring talks

* MCing a meetup

All of these tasks can be shared and be dealt with minimal infrastructure:

* Mailinglist (google groups)

* Chatroom (slack/gittr/freenode)

* Github for issues and talks and news slides

So what I suggest is that yes you celebrate Bill's contributions, but if
you wish LUGOD to persist that you consider forming an org-committee to
see that it persists.

Those are my 2 cents but it has worked well up here for our Javascript
meetup and our Python meetup.

Abram