[vox] The future of LUGOD

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sun Nov 13 12:38:03 PST 2016

Right now it's LUGOD club officer election season, and we're
accepting nominations for our four elected positions.

I'm strongly considering NOT running for any positions this
time around, as it's looking very likely that I'll be moving
out of the area next summer.

I'm concerned, since I take it upon myself to do a lot of
work for the club, that I'll leave a vacuum in my place
which could adversely affect the club.  We obviously don't
want that!

Furthermore, even now, I've not had as much time (or in some
cases, not had the energy or inclincation) to do some of the
things necessary for the club.  I've been terrible at putting
meeting minutes up on the website (and have been bad at
asking for help), and have been struggling to work on finding
guest speakers.  Doing that kind of stuff for a good portion
of the past ~16-17 years has admittedly gotten a bit tiresome.

The club needs help right now, so I encourage people to please
consider running for officer positions.  It'd be revitalizing,
I think, to actually hold elections _with voting_ for once.

So many past elections have been situations where only one
person was nominated for each position (if that!), so we've
accepted them after a simple 'call for objections' at the
meeting.

LUGOD is a 501(c)7 non-profit, with a somewhat active
membership, and I think we can thrive if energetic people
take part in running the club again.

That's my 2c, (and, uh, I guess a kind of warning? :) )

With that, I need to hurry up and find a guest speaker/topic
for next week's meeting! :^(

Sent from my computer