[vox] How to fix Google Chrome browser apt sources.list entry

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 18 00:31:58 PDT 2016

Quoting Bob Scofield (scofield at omsoft.com):

> Both for my business, and for a Spanish class I took last year, I
> had to use Chrome because I was get functionality that I cannot get
> with either Firefox or Chromium.

Out of curiosity, what's that?

If it's 'fully functional in-browser Flash interpreter', one neat hack
involve extracting the Google-written proprietary flash interpreter from
Chrome ('pepperflashplugin-nonfree') and inserting it into Chromium.
This has been an ideal workaround for several years -- and avoids
needing to use the horrible, buggy, security-destroying Adobe Flash
interpreter & plug-in.

I just read that, as of May 2015, pepperflashplugin-nonfree is
'deprecated' (according to Canonical, if you believe them) in favor of
an official, maintained, one-step package called adobe-flashplugin,
which is said to work in both Firefox and Chromium (and derivatives).

...and which appears to refer to this new-ish (revived?) thing from
Adobe:
https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-chromium.html

(Personally, I'd have a lot more faith in Google's Pepperflash.)

> My Firefox on Windows is buggy.

Easy to fix.  Just remove Windows.  ;->

But whatever works for you is great.

--
Cheers,                       He's making a database;
Rick Moen                     He's sorting it twice.