[vox] How to fix Google Chrome browser apt sources.list entry

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Mar 16 14:24:35 PDT 2016

Just came across this, when doing a `sudo aptitude update` on my
Ubuntu box here at work:

  W: Failed to fetch http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/dists/stable/Release:
  Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-i386/Packages' in Release file
  (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)

Turns out, it's because Google has deprecated the 32-bit version of Chrome.
A bunch of Google search results for that error are out there, from the past
few weeks, one of which is:

  http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/03/fix-failed-to-fetch-google-chrome-apt-error-ubuntu

Long story short, edit your sources.list file for the Google Chrome browser download,
and jam an "[arch=amd64]" in there, like so:

  deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main

(e.g., I did this on my laptop's "/etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list" file)

Enjoy,

Sent from my computer