[vox] dual boot Linux on a Mac?

Nick Schmalenberger nick at schmalenberger.us
Wed Feb 27 23:40:07 PST 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 11:13:53PM -0800, Daniel Nelson wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM, Brian Lavender <brian at brie.com="mailto:brian at brie.com">> wrote:
>  I heard the Retina display on Mac does not work well with Linux.I just tried booting from an Ubuntu USB key, and it worked fine on my 13" MacBook Pro with Retina screen, although the DPI settings would probably need to be adjusted unless you like REALLY tiny text. I wasn't using one of the special "for Mac" Ubuntu images, so I wasn't able to test things like wifi or hot keys (well really I just didn't even try hot keys) , but if anyone is interested I could test it out more thoroughly.
>
> Daniel

Yeah, I've heard the DPI is the whole problem. Unless each
icon/font is vector or has several bitmaps at various scales, it
will look weird from bad scaling. That is why in Debian for
example, there are the packages xfonts-100dpi and xfonts-75dpi
(but I don't know if those are both too small for some people on
the supposedly 2560×1600 display the 13" mbp has, in which case
they may be SOL). I have a 1920x1200 15" screen in an hp laptop I
like alot, but the text is indeed pretty small in regular Debian.
I can't remember if it uses 75 or 100 dpi.
Nick Schmalenberger