[vox] Favorite memories of LUGOD?

Norm Matloff matloff at cs.ucdavis.edu
Mon Dec 30 11:04:52 PST 2013

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 11:46:48PM -0800, Brian Lavender wrote:

> Norm,

> I thought somehow the firm was System 76, but I see they are out of Denver. So,
> they must not be it.

> When are you going to talk at Lugod again? A talk on R perhaps? I did
> not realize that you had given a talk when we used to be at Z-World on
> "Debunking the Myth of a Desperate Software Labor Shortage"

> Any chance you can bless Lugod with another talk sometime?

> brian

Thanks for the nice words, Brian.

I'd be happy to give a talk titled, "Parallel Processing in R," if that
would be a good topic.  Though it would be specific to R, the material
would have implications for any effort to parallelize a scripting
language.  What I would discuss would be the R packages Snow, Rmpi, Rdsm
and gputools, the latter being an R interface to GPUs.  The Rdsm package
is one I developed.  Time permitting, I would also discuss Thrust, a
library of C++ templates whose backend platform can be configured at
compile time to either OpenMP or GPUs (or TBB); I've been developing an
R library to interface to Thrust (for certain algorithms); I call it
Rth.

Norm