[vox] Ardupilot, UAVs, and linux.

Bill Broadley bill at broadley.org
Sun Nov 11 21:49:59 PST 2012

On 11/11/2012 12:18 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> I haven't looked much at the other boards, the arduino has been a target
> for me for the following reasons:
>
> Add-on shells for GPS, Camera, Storage and other sensors (8-16 sensors
> or add ons depending on device).

Seems like the same add on sensors work with other boards.  The newer
boards if anything have more IO.

> Community size (Plenty of prebaked stuff, good books)

Heh, well even the Arduino is moving to arm, the arduino Due is a 32 bit
cortex M3, and most of the UAV folks seem to think that's too little too
late.  At least the ardu pilot/copter folks are advocating skipping the
Due and porting to the m4f.

> Ease of programming for the purpose
> Low power consumption (the lower the better if it serves the purpose
> right because you get longer flights)
> Inexpensive, I've seen boards for as little as $50 (depending on the model).

I've not seen anything that cheap with enough sensors/control to do a
UAV.  Something like this one:
http://store.diydrones.com/APM_2_5_Kit_p/br-ardupilotmega-06.htm

$180 no GPS, $200 mediatek gps, $250 uBlox GPS.

Looks pretty similar to:
https://store.diydrones.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BR-PXFMU

Once you add the nice uBlox CPU for $75.99.

I'd be a bit surprised if the power was much different considering how
much power the motors take.

> From a non CS perspective ease of actually getting the device to work
> without having to delve into hardware drivers, C, etc is really
> important.

Agreed.  Several projects have working (turn key afaict) autopilots for
the cortex m4f, but I guess the conservative thing to do is wait for the
ardupilot/arducopter port.

> Since the projects I work on have limited budgets we usually
> have to go with whatever technical ability our Scientists (Geographers,
> Ecologists, etc) have.

Sure, I suspect most folks just assemble it and either fly it live or
use qgroundcontrol or related app to set 3d way points.

> Side note, right now we often use CHDK on Canon Powershot type cameras
> to do intervalometers, because you can use cheap off the shelf cameras
> and you can write the scripts in BASIC of all things.

Heh, cool.  Looks like the gopro is fairly common, as well.  I suspect
they just hit record before they launch.  I've been curious is gopro
supports some kind of API/SDK to allow similar.  They do offer a app
that can control the camera from a smartphone.

> If others are interested their has been talk of a local PublicLab group
> to help each other work on such platforms.

Sounds interesting to me.