[vox] Ardupilot, UAVs, and linux.

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Nov 11 12:18:47 PST 2012

On 11/10/2012 07:10 PM, Bill Broadley wrote:

> Wow, thanks for the great summary.
>
> I was shocked to find that people were putting gopro's on their fairly
> cheap/easy planes (the bixlee) and getting over 3km up.
>
> I suspect for new projects you are best off with something newer than
> the arduino.  Seems like the 8-bit arduino boards are $150-$200, and the
> much faster 32 bit arms are in the same range.

I haven't looked much at the other boards, the arduino has been a target
for me for the following reasons:

Add-on shells for GPS, Camera, Storage and other sensors (8-16 sensors
or add ons depending on device).
Community size (Plenty of prebaked stuff, good books)
Ease of programming for the purpose
Low power consumption (the lower the better if it serves the purpose
right because you get longer flights)
Inexpensive, I've seen boards for as little as $50 (depending on the model).