[vox] [fwd] Big Media trying to manipulate copyright again!

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Nov 3 18:01:55 PDT 2011

Seen on SacLUG's list.  (I also saw mention of this on Twitter, via
Dane, CEO of Sonic.net, earlier today.)

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Brian Lavender <brian at brie.com> -----

Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 23:24:19 -0700
From: Brian Lavender <brian at brie.com>
Subject: [Lug-nuts] Big Media trying to manipulate copyright again!
To: Lug Nuts <lug-nuts at saclug.org>

I encourage people to contact their representatives and appose
legislation introduced to manipulate copyright and restrict freedom
of speech.

I just emailed Congress to urge them to oppose the Internet Blacklist
Legislation, known as the PROTECT-IP Act in the Senate and the Stop
Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the House. This legislation seeks to give
the executive branch power to conduct slash-and-burn campaigns against
websites that allegedly host - or even link to - content that
infringes on intellectual property rights. That would "disappear"
whole domain names, fundamentally undermining Internet security, and/or
choke off their financial support. The Internet Blacklist Legislation
puts more sites than ever at risk, effectively upending the DMCA safe
harbors that have been crucial to the growth of Internet innovation
and creativity.

Sadly, these short-sighted and dangerous bills won't do much to stop
online infringement - but they will jeopardize our ability to speak
and read online with the kind of freedom we cherish in the offline
world. Deep-pocketed Hollywood lobbyists are aggressively pushing to
control and censor the open Internet, willing to sacrifice free speech
and our Internet culture in hopes of controlling how people view their
movies and products.

We need to stop this bill before it goes any further. Will you contact
your representatives in Congress and urge them to oppose the Internet
Blacklist Legislation? Visit: https://eff.org/r.C8A

brian
--
Brian Lavender