[vox] bogus staffing company?

Bill Ward bill at wards.net
Wed Nov 2 13:49:54 PDT 2011

Lots of recruiters use poorly-written software that extracts email
addresses and keywords from resumes and blasts out trial balloon job
offers. There's a good chance the jobs themselves don't even exist - if you
are in the market for a job and it's a close match to what you want, you'll
reply and then a human will get involved and maybe send you some real
offers.

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Brian Lavender <brian at brie.com> wrote:

> The strange thing is I just got a different email from different recruiter
> of theirs with a "Dear Consultant," at the top for the same gig. If they
> are legit, they are searching for someone for a Gig in San Francisco for
> a Sys admin.  I had this happen with a different company out of Chicago
> advertising for jobs in Minnesota. I would get three generic emails from
> three different recruiters.
>
> And to answer Micah, there is a phone. I could have looked a little closer.
>
> brian
>
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 01:15:34PM -0700, Eric Rasmussen wrote:
> > The sad thing is some legitimate websites are so full of meaningless
> > buzzwords that they're hard to distinguish from bogus sites. But in
> > this case it looks like they've had that domain registered since 2007
> > and have multiple listings across multiple employment sites, so I'm
> > guessing they're an actual company, just engaging in questionable
> > email practices.
> >
> > -Eric

> site.

> appears to
> > >
> > > No phone contact? What about at
> > > http://www.itbrainiac.com/contact_us.html (via the "Contact Us" tab)?
> > >
> > > It doesn't strike me as all that unusual for names to be absent from a
> > > website... is there anything in particular that makes you think this is
> > > a bogus company? I don't see anything that strikes me as particularly
> > > odd (cursory look). Except that they don't seem to be in
> whitepages.com
> > > (but the number from their website maps to a NY, NY landline, matching
> > > their contact address).

> > > Is that unusual for recruiters? I get that sort of unsolicited (but
> > > apparently career-relevant), generic job offer all the time. All the
> > > less surprising if you consider they probably blast the mail to a
> > > prepared list of potentially-interested email addresses (culled from
> > > resumes?)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Micah J. Cowan
> > > http://micah.cowan.name/
>
> --
> Brian Lavender
> http://www.brie.com/brian/
>
> "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to
> make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other
> way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
>
> Professor C. A. R. Hoare
> The 1980 Turing award lecture

Check out my LEGO blog at http://www.brickpile.com
Follow/friend me: facebook.com/billward • flickr.com/photos/billward •
twitter.com/williamward