[vox] linux in automotive scanners

Brian Lavender brian at brie.com
Thu Jan 6 13:42:30 PST 2011

I think what happened is that you can't go directly to the link.
http://www.x431.com/

On my celica GT-S, I usually just need the SEL code (on the rare occasion
something goes wrong) and then I go to the internet and check it out.
I was able to diagnose the failed O2 sensor and the fact that I once
forgot to fully plug back in the connector for the cam sensor. It seems
like the engine has a sensor for just about everything.

I have to say that I am impressed with my Celica and the Coil Over Plug
ignition system. I switched the computer from the '02 to an '01. Now,
I have the full 8400 rev limit.

I am a little suspicous with Toyota's removal of the throttle cable.
My Celica has a cable, but my '05 Toyota Tocoma truck doesn't. I think
there might be rare situations where the computer creates a surge. With
a throttle cable, it closes the flap on the throttle body and chokes
the engine providing a fully reliable system. I don't think Toyota
went through and fully verified that the controller always maintain a
secure state.

Imagine if their safety gap measure was to tell the computer not to
activate the injectors when the pedal was up, but a rare condition
could send an activate signal and activate them anyway. Just a
thought.