[vox] Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

Ryan Northrup northrupthebandgeek at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 12:44:01 PDT 2010

I think the Linux software being ported to Windows is more out of popular
demand (and unwillingness to switch operating systems) than it is by
Microsoft's direct influence.  Several Windows ports of Linux-originated
software that I've seen were explicitly stated to be third-party projects,
separate from the official project.  For example, QEMU, on the download page
on the main site, is available solely as a source tarball (see
http://wiki.qemu.org/Download for reference).  A Windows port isn't even
mentioned, at least that I can tell (the Windows binary is available at
http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/, clearly not the QEMU homepage).

In short, I'm convinced that many Windows ports are done by users hoping to
be able to use this software without worrying about a new operating system,
not by people being encouraged to do so by Microsoft.  Likewise, I'm certain
that OpenOffice was created to provide a less-expensive alternative to
Microsoft Office (which is expensive), not to prevent monopolistic
accusations against Microsoft.

P.S.  I did some research on the relationships between Coke and RC Cola, and
between Seiko and Casio.  Neither pairs are evidenced in corporate
histories.  The closest thing there was to a relationship was a merger
attempt between Coca-Cola and Dr. Pepper/Seven-Up (into which the RC Cola
brand was folded into by both their owners, Cadbury Schweppes), which was
blocked by the FTC.  Any benefit that one of these companies provided to the
other is a side effect, and likely not nearly as great of a benefit as the
maintenance of market dominance.

If I'm horribly mis-guided and incorrect, my apologies.