[vox] Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

Ryan Northrup northrupthebandgeek at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 12:49:09 PDT 2010

I may be a hobbyist, but I would gladly try to help with OpenOffice issues
if I saw them on this mailing list.  Granted, I'm sure there are many things
way over my head when it comes to the nitty gritty, but I am an avid
supporter of OpenOffice (and now it's fork, LibreOffice) because, in my
opinion, it has more pros than cons once it's figured out.

OpenOffice seems to be (this is my observation) designed around the features
of Office 2003.  It doesn't have the fancy ribbon or nearly as many nifty
features (although direct PDF export is handy).  It's not exactly a fair
comparison between OpenOffice and MS Office.  But there's no reason
OpenOffice can't catch up.

It's also interesting that Office 2007 features the ability to save a .od*
document, as if Microsoft is realizing the importance of supporting an open
standard as well as its own proprietary formats.