[vox] Reasons you might not want to use OpenOffice

Gandalf Parker gandalf at any1can.net
Wed Oct 27 07:35:01 PDT 2010

Pardon me for jumping in late. For health reasons I can only contribute
one or two days out of a week.

My general take on everything the last few days is:
There is NO BEST. There is only Pros and Cons.
Im a firm believer that there is no best answer for anything, there is
only pros and cons. For any question I ever ask, I tend to rate absolute
much higher rating when Im considering responses to a question.

Whether its dogs, cars, state, government, religion, OS. If anyone asks
"what is best" and gets an answer of "the best is xxxx" then that is not
an answer, that is an endorsement.

NOW on the more on-topic discussion of people who are seeking our advice
to such questions, consider our goals. If your goal is line the person up
with you face-to-face and debate the subject then spitting out an absolute
answer is one of the best ways to accomplish that. If your goal is to
inform, maybe sway, even possibly convert.. then you are best off starting
with some agreements on their choice, then gradually point out "but some
people" and "in these situations" where the other choice might be better.

Of everything I have seen in the past couple of days the one thing that
caught my eye was the reference to Kubuntu and Mac. I have always
pro/con'd OS's generally as Unix for work server, Linux for fun server,
Windows for desktop, and Mac for portables or "I just want it to work".
Lately it seems that I need to catch up on Linux for Mac uses.

Gandalf  Parker
--
It used to be that politics, religion, and sex were not subjects for a
polite social gathering. Now that sex is ok I guess its become politics,