[vox] Further LUGOD sponsorship of Atari Party 2010?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sat Jan 30 10:03:04 PST 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 08:16:05AM -0800, Michael Cheselka wrote:
> Hello Bill,
>
> OK, I just read through all my old emails and see that this is a
> repeat of last year.

Ok, hopefully you re-read my post from last night and saw the part where
I answered the questions from your first reply to it... but just in case:

  On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 07:58, Michael Cheselka <cheselka at gmail.com> wrote:
  > Am I understanding, the Atari people want LUGOD to pay $600 and one of
  > the benifits is "free advertising"?

No.  This event will fund itself.  Any residual contributions
would go to LUGOD.  (e.g., if it costs, say, $654 to rent the venue, and
people/companies donate $700 towards renting a venue, LUGOD keeps the
differnece ($46)).

  > Are the Atari people not able to sponsor their own event?  If they
  > can, then why do they need LUGOD?

The benefit I'd get from LUGOD's involvement is a group with 501(c) status.
This would cut the City of Davis rental rate to be cut in half.

  > Why don't you form a AUGOD?

Well considering many of the people actually involved are coming from
great distances (almost all of the volunteers bringing equipment
are from the Bay Area; a couple are from Davis/Sac), that would be
a lot of effort to put into forming a group that holds one event
a year, and has 2 or 3 local members. :)

I seriously doubt I could get 501(c) status for such a group, and
esp. not quickly enough to be able to call the City of Davis any time
soon about renting a venue. :)

  > LUGOD is still lending the projector and still gets free advertising.

Heh! Good point. :)

Still... having an umbrella group like LUGOD accept the funds would also
have two other benefits:

(1) it'll probably be a lot easier to convince people/companies to
    donate to the event if they knew any extra would benefit a non-profit
    club, and not just sit in my pocket.

(2) I'm not receiving the money directly, so I worry less about taxes;

Now, I still have at least two other choices:

* See if a UC Davis student group wants to be the umbrella org. for
  the event -- e.g., the CS Club at UC Davis.  It looks like they're
  active (sorry to sound surprised; so often they have not been),
  so if LUGOD seems against it, I'll try them next.

* Find a different venue.

  I already looked at the IOOF Lodge downtown, but (1) it looks like
  it's just as expensive as the City of Davis resident rate
  (again, 2x what it'd cost if I had help from LUGOD or CS Club),
  (2) I'm not sure if it _actually_ has two separate rooms I could use
  (one for games, one for film screening) and (3) parking would be a
  nightmare compared to Veterans' Memorial Center and Senior Center.

> The Atari Linux Emulators provide enough of a tie in.

That makes 3 LUGOD members who feel that way. ;)

> GP2X Wiz can run Atari 2600 games via an emulator.  There's also a new
> F200 version of this device.

The original GP2X can as run these emulators as well.  Which reminds me,
I was thinking of bringing mine to the event.  I need to figure out what
state it's in...